non-constrained embedded pole - 97 UBC 1806.8.2.1 "d" definition

UBC 1806.8.2.1 defines: "d = depth of embedment in earth in feet but not
over 12 feet for the purposes of computing lateral pressure."

Is this saying the maximum embedment required is 12 feet or is it saying
that 12 feet maximum can be used to calculate S1 and S3?  UBC Table 18-I-A
footnote 3 allows lateral bearing to be increased up to 15 times the
tabulated value.

Thanks.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer