Re: AISC "Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings", Section 13.3.a

While I paid my dues learning the trade after my degree in civil
engineering as a steel detailer for a construction department of a
heavy steel erector, we were instructed to develop the capacity of the
beam at the end connection. We invaribly would argue the case of
economics but never won over the Chief Detailer-Checker contention that
the end connection was to develop the capacity of the beam in shear and
bending. At the time we thought he was nuts, overly conservative, and
going to drive us out of the business. However, at that time we were
just a service organization to a steel producer.

Pax e Gratia
Bob Ross
Robert P. Ross, P.E.
Principal Project Manager