Re: Dead Load or Live Load?

Bill,

Would you consider lights to be dead load, or live load?
----- Original Message -----
From: Amy Ellis
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 2:01 PM
Subject: RE: Dead Load or Live Load?

The definition of dead load is the weight of the structure itself and "permanent" attachments.  We consider floor coverings and roof coverings, which can be removed to be dead load so why wouldn't we consider "permanent" solar panels to be dead loads.  The solar panels are static loads that don't vary in weight or location. Sounds like a dead load to me - no matter what the "environmental whackos" decide.

>>> bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc 11/21/01 02:50PM >>>
Right. And just as soon as the environmentalist whackos get out of the way
of our energy independence, you'll see those solar panels come down
quicker'n you can say "Greenpeace."

They're LIVE LOADS because they can most CERTAINLY be removed without
disturbing the use and function of the structure itself.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251