RE: Dead Load or Live Load?

We know that "roof" live loads are not included in seismic calculations(nobody erecting the building during an EQ) , (once the building is erected, there is essentially " no Live Load") and we also know that the mass of these solar units must be included in the seismic calculation, so that would indicate by ASD formulas D + C + E/1.4 that we must either consider these panels as dead or collateral load. To be conservative, I probably would not include the weight in the D + W combination for max up lift reactions, and maybe wind uplift would control the design, depending on several factors. Im going to take door number 3, and say Collateral load. May I ask if your designing by Strength Design or Allowable Stress?

rpl