Re: Single Family Home design + Construction

None of these things are allowed in So. Calif. and few would be found
since we have a quite thorough plan check, good inspection by the local
agency and strucural observation by the structural engineer at several
critical times during construction.  This is not to say that none of
these things are ever found.however, since things bad things occasionally
happen even though there is good checking and good inspection. I am was a
Structural Engineer in Illinois prior to letting it expire and I seem to
recall than architects are not allowed to design beams more than 12 or 15
feet. Is this something that can be pursued?  Needless to say all of
these things need correction.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA