Re: Foundation Underpinning

Jason
I hope this might help.
This is simular to up and down excavation methed that we use in Taiwan. For
some case with 5 to 7 stories basement building, we would like to use up and
down mether for time saving. First we will build the slarry wall around the
construction site, then we use case-in-place drilling pile for future
supporting of the basement floor and the above ground structure. The
super-structure may go up for a certain level without buckling the king-post
under ground.

The first thing that I will do for your case will be build the temperory
slarry wall around your basement with sheet pile or other system suggested
by your soil engineer. Second, pus some smaller size steel driven pile into
the ground under the existing footing, sometimes this necessary to put some
strut around the existing column for several stories above the footing for
tranform gravity load from footing to pile. When gravity load is carried by
the piles then dig into the ground for a new basement floor.
Jeng-Wei Li