RE: A588 Steel.

Nick,

I spent 16 years at the Deere & Co. (John Deere) Corporate Headquarters in
Moline, IL.  It was one of the first weathering steel buildings.  During
that time I discovered a few things about its behavior, and would get calls
from attorneys, and engineers dealing with its use.  Hawaii was not a good
location for using this material.

I don't know about mill schedules for the material.

Welding rod does not have to be anything special.  The original Deere & Co.
building did use special rod.  The concern was the welds would rust away,
and the building would come apart.  On the authority of Omer Blodgett, that
was not necessary.  When the facility was expanded, E70XX was used.

Details are important.  It is necessary that the surface drain well, and
moisture not be trapped anywhere.  On the Deere facility, some exterior
columns were covered with earth so the concrete foundation would not show.
Not a good idea.  In some locations the web had almost rusted through.  Sun
screen/window washer platform grating supports did not allow good drainage.
A window washer almost fell because of corrosion at a connection. We
modified the connection detail to allow better drainage.

Then there is rust staining on adjacent surfaces ... including glass ...

Paul Martin PE SE
Wichita, KS