Re: A588 Steel.

Thanks for all the responses. I truly appreciate the comments.
Aesthetics are not my concern.

Perhaps I should have clarified my logic for using A588. I have an Industrial
high temperature ( runs at 500 degrees F when things are working right)
environmental "oven" that is made of A588 steel. The company that made the
"oven" went belly up. There is a steel beam 21'-0" long inside the oven that
needs structural reinforcing due to new loading conditions. My first choice is
to place a sister beam to help carry the load if it is physically possible. The
oven is basically a row of steel canisters 21'-0" in diameter and about 40'-0"
tall.

I prefer to use A588 steel if possible. My concerns are welding A588 steel ( end
clip plates and lateral bracing to the adjacent A588 beam) and availability of
wide flange sections in A588 steel.

Regards,

Nick Pitera

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          sscholl2@juno.c|
|        |          om             |
|        |                         |
|        |          11/26/01 01:15 |
|        |          PM             |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to seaint      |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |     To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org                            |
  |     cc:     (bcc: Nick Pitera/EG-Engrg/3M/US)            |
  |     Subject:     Re: A588 Steel.                         |

The Chicago City Hall has stained all surrounding concrete sidewalks for
the past 20 or more years. When I was with the PCA we always thought the
steel guys were brilliant- they took their worst problem-rust- and sold
it as something to look at.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA