RE: A588 Steel.

Nick,

Take a look at the ASME STS-1-1992 "Steel Stacks".  There is an update
scheduled to be out soon.  They build steel stacks out of all kinds of steel
including regular carbon steel.  They provide for a corrosion allowance,
coatings, stainless, etc. for all ranges of temperatures and corrosives.
They also consider A 588 steel.  It is worth a look at what the steel stack
people do for corrosion in high temperature applications.

A 588 wide flange shapes are not exactly off the shelf.  A 588 plate steel
is more commonly available than rolled shapes.  If you do use A 588, you
might find it cheaper and easier to use a plate girder.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague