RE: A588 Steel.

Thanks Harold, I'll take a look the ASME STS-1-1992 "Steel Stacks". I have used
that design guide in the past for stack design, off hand I just don't recall the
A588 section. The plate girder may prove to be a faster alternate.

Regards,

Nick Pitera

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Sprague,      |
|        |          Harold O."     |
|        |          <SpragueHO@bv.c|
|        |          om>            |
|        |                         |
|        |          11/26/01 02:56 |
|        |          PM             |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to seaint      |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |     To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>    |
  |     cc:     (bcc: Nick Pitera/EG-Engrg/3M/US)            |
  |     Subject:     RE: A588 Steel.                         |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|

Nick,

Take a look at the ASME STS-1-1992 "Steel Stacks".  There is an update
scheduled to be out soon.  They build steel stacks out of all kinds of steel
including regular carbon steel.  They provide for a corrosion allowance,
coatings, stainless, etc. for all ranges of temperatures and corrosives.
They also consider A 588 steel.  It is worth a look at what the steel stack
people do for corrosion in high temperature applications.

A 588 wide flange shapes are not exactly off the shelf.  A 588 plate steel
is more commonly available than rolled shapes.  If you do use A 588, you
might find it cheaper and easier to use a plate girder.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague