pressure-treating glu-lams

A fellow engineer in my office asked me about pressure-treating glulams
for exterior exposure.  I don't know the specifics of her project, but
she was told that each lamination needed to be individually
pressure-treated prior to fabrication instead of just the exterior of
the finished beam getting the treatment.  Is this true?  Is it due to a
limitation of the pressure-treating equipment or are the joints
susceptible to decay?
Thanks,
Mike Livingston