Re: Plate w/ Large deflections - Need diaphragm stress at edge

Nels:

What I need would be applicable only for thin plates where diaphragm stress
(tensile stresses) form in the plate due to large deflections.

Specifically, I have a controlling design as follows:

Plate 0.125"x24"x60" resisting 40 PSF wind load.  I need diaphragm (tensile)
stress/force at edge of plate, assuming the plate is held but not fixed at its
edges.  From Roark's I'm getting diaphram stress at the center of the plate
equal to 894 psi or 1341 lb/ft; this is much higher than I expected.

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock