Re: Control joints in Elevated slabs

I have never specified control joints in elevated concrete slabs on deck.  However, a contractor took it upon himself to install them on one of my projects.  He intended to reduce random cracking, similar to a slab-on-grade.  The problem is that the concrete is bonded to and restrained by the metal deck.  Therefore, the control joints are fairly useless.  In addition, if the joints are cut along the column lines as is usual practice, they will probably interfere with shear studs if they are cut very deep.

Jason Emoto

>>> "Hyndman, Keith" <KHyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com> 11/28/01 11:04AM >>>
Anyone ever heard of putting control joints in elevated concrete slabs on
deck?

Keith Hyndman, P.E.
khyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com
Engineering Solutions Inc.