Re: Side Plate Systems - Eureka Moment

This is a very interesting article. I have viewed the actual article in
the newspaper. It has some good color diagrams to illustrate the concept
in detail. To take into consideration the narrower width of the beam
flanges compared to the columns, plates the same wdth as the columns are
welded to the top and bottom flanges and the side plates are welded to
these as well as to the column flanges.

It sounds like this is a patented idea but I don't see how that it could
be. It is interesting that we find out about this from the newspaper -
not from any structural engineering organizations.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA