Re: Side Plate Systems - Eureka Moment

Thank you for the reference to the OCRegister article; it's interesting.  I
think most structural engineers in California are familiar with the system
and it certainly does seem useful.  It may be the best solution to
beam-column moment connections, which leads me to my concern:

Am I the only person who feels a little sadness in the pit of my stomach
every time I read about this "proprietary" system.  I wonder what the
engineering world would be like today if every advancement had been privately
tested, patented, and sold to the highest bidder.  No dogbone connections, no
eccentric braced frames, maybe no wheel or wl^2/8 -- without paying the fare
each time you use it?  The other systems were "invented" in universities, on
government grants, so I suppose that's why they ended up in the public
domain.  But the article mentioned that the inventor of the sideplate system
was on a government grant when he thought of it too.

I understand that we are a capitalist system and that "everything" one
originates can be made the basis for profit.  But just think what the world
would be like if every advancement was captured and sold, never distributed
for the common good.

I expect there will be a lot of comments reminding me that we wouldn't have
AZT and many other medicines if there weren't a huge potential for profit in
it, and of course that's true.  At the other extreme many useful things
wouldn't be helping the world if they were only sold.

Just a few thoughts.  I'm very interested in responses.

Bye, bye, Enron -- capitalism at its best?  :(

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA