RE: Wood Moment Frame?

IMHO  - with a full depth header extended to the outside kingstuds (top of
header = bottom of TP), the realized pier height should be from top of the
stemwall curb to the bottom of header.  Design assumes infinite rigidity in
the header to transfer all loads at the TP to the top of the shearwall
(pier) without any deformation of the header.   The upper strapping
arrangement is an upgrade that will add capacity as the system acts as a
portal frame, however, I do not consider the upper straps to be required to
comply with H:W ratio limits.   An alternative method may be to raise the
height of the stemwall below the piers.  My attention would be drawn to the
framing clips between the piers and the header and the header to the TP.
Sounds like he needs about 600# each side, TN for shear transfer is limited
to 150 plf and I would be skeptical that FN would be set between the lower
TP 2x and the header.

pr, pe