From: "Jason Kilgore" <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Over or under?

A guy in our office is writing a program for roof drop beam
analysis and
design.

When we were allowed to review it and give comments, an immediate
argument
broke out about which side of a beam to draw a moment diagram on.
Traditionally, a beam moment diagram is drawn on the compression
side
(positive moment up and negative moment down -- as shown in the
AISC
manuals, for a simple-span beam the moment line is over the beam
line) and a
frame moment diagram is drawn on the tension side.

The programmer drew the drop-beam system like a frame (positive
down and
negative up), because he says that's the way he's always done it.
I believe
we've talked him into adding an user option to select how it
looks (either
over or under the beam).

But now I'm curious.  How many of you draw beam moment diagrams
on the
tension side and how many on the negative side?

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com