Re: Straw House structural values

I recall an incident involving a straw house, three pigs and a wolf.  Make
sure that the house is designed for unusual wind loads.  :)

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

****************************

                    "Glenn Otto"
                    <glenn@libertye      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    ng.net>
                    12/03/01 07:09       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     Straw House structural values.
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

I am designing a house made out of straw.  I was wondering if ICBO has done
any testing on these structures. What kind of clay is best to use?  Is
there a minimum amount of straw required?  What kind of diaphragm shear
values are obtainable?  I was thinking of using clay for the foundation but
then I thought sand might have better drainage properties.  What kind of
waterproofing and fireproofing is good?  The fee is real small on this one,
so I don't want to spend too much time on calcs.

Thanks,

Glenn C. Otto, PE

LIBERTY ENGINEERING, P.C.

Virginia Beach, VA