Re: Wood Moment Frame?

Dan,

Can you extend these narrow panels beyond the edge of the side walls to make
them comply with the code?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dan Goodrich wrote:

. > This was my concern from the start.  I got involved with the project
. > because of an issue with a suspended concrete floor slab.  As I was
. > going through the plans, I noticed the narrow shear walls.  Out of
. > curiosity I called the EOR to find out how he justified it.

. > Apparently, the report that John Rose mentioned is about to be
. > published.  This is the response I got from Tom Skaggs:

. >     "The information that you request has recently been finalized in APA
. > Report
. >     T2001L-56 "Narrow Wood Portal-Frame Bracing Segments"."

. > I don't know when it will be available though.  He is going to mail me a
. > copy.  Thanks, John!

. > I think I have talked the EOR into using a Strongwall.  We'll see.
. > He did not perform a deflection check.  I doubt it would meet the
. > code requirements.  I've noticed that a few of the strongwalls have a
. > full height metal strap at the edge.  I wonder if this is to limit
. > deflection?

. > George Richards asked "Where is the life safety issue?"
. > If only we had to worry about life safety.  What do you tell the
. > owner/lawyer
. > when the garage door won't open after the big wind storm because the
. > garage is slightly out of plumb?

. > Thanks for all the input.
. > Dan Goodrich, P.E.