From: "Glenn Otto" <glenn(--nospam--at)libertyeng.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Straw House structural values
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:09:04 -0500

I am designing a house made out of straw.  I was wondering if ICBO has done
any testing on these structures. What kind of clay is best to use? Is there a minimum amount of straw required? What kind of diaphragm shear values are
obtainable?  I was thinking of using clay for the foundation but then I
thought sand might have better drainage properties.  What kind of
waterproofing and fireproofing is good?  The fee is real small on this one,
so I don?t want to spend too much time on calcs.

Thanks,

Glenn C. Otto, PE
LIBERTY ENGINEERING, P.C.
Virginia Beach, VA