RE: RE: Straw House structural values

Bob,
Hardy has a site at www.hardyframe.com. I have not had this confirmed,
but was told that Simplified Structural Systems (who purchased the Hardy
Frame System a few years ago) was bought out by MiTek. This may be only
a rumor, but I was told by another engineer about a month ago.

Gary Hardy - the framer who came up with the idea - is still heavily
active in the business and has been working to open up markets overseas.
It is my preference for braced frame panels as it is the most difficult
to "bastardize" in the field and has tremendous stiffness (high load,
low deflection). You do need to pay particular attention to the design
of the foundation to compensate for the high uplift (tension) and
compression caused by high load narrow panels. Still, I am slowly
getting a strong following by local builders.

Regards

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Administrator - The Structuralist.Net