Re: Concrete Freezing

In a message dated 12/4/01 3:16:33 PM, dang(--nospam--at)karren.com writes:

<< Anybody know of any good references that address

the effects of freezing on concrete?  I've got a contractor

that placed a foundation wall, and didn't adequately protect

it from the cold weather.

Dan Goodrich, P.E.

The issue is how much strength did the concrete have when it froze.  Fully
cured concrete can easily sustain temperatures well below freezing.  Concrete
is exothermic, so generates enough heat, when freshly placed, to prevent
freezing at temperatures close to 32° F.  I believe that ACI 301 gives
guidance on this issue.  I have also heard about research that the Army Corps
of Engineers Cold Regions Lab in Hanover, NH is doing that indicates that
concrete that cures at low temperatures (near freezing) actually develops
better long term properties than concrete cured at higher temperatures 80° F.

Regardless of the above, if it froze before it achieved adequate initial
strength, it may  be just so much mush.

Alan Fisher, PE