Spiral Welded Pipe

I have historically prohibited sprial welded pipe for bearing piles.  Now a contractor (with a vested interest) has told me that the problems of years past have been overcome and that sprial pipe is now acceptable for such use.

What changes, if any, have been made in the manufacturing/welding process?  Does sprial welded pipe have any limitations that would make it unacceptable for bearing piles suject to axial load and moment?  FWIW, the piles are 24" OD with 0.5" wall.

M. David Finley, P.E.
Lake City, FL  32025