Re: Seismic loads on mechanical and electrical components

The United States seismic codes have been undergoing a continuous evolution
with NEHRP Recommended Provisions, ASCE Minimum Design Loads, and legally
adopted Building Codes being issued at different times.  They each have
their unique approval processes that usually result in differences in
wording.  Differences are to be expected, and all differences are not
readily explainable.  Rather than answer your valid questions, let me ask a
few.

1) Why are you looking at ASCE 7-95, instead of the more recent ASCE-98?

2) Why are you looking at the 1997 UBC instead of the 2000 IBC?

In my opinion, you can best serve your valued client by recommending the
most recent codes.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

the views of the company.