RE: code require column impact protection in warehouse?

UBC 2222.5 "Lower portions of posts exposed to damage by forklift trucks or
other moving equipment shall have protective devices.  If not so so
protected the rack structure at the option of the building official: (1) be
designed to maintain its full design load capacity at allowable stresses
with the exposed capacity reduced by one-half, or (2)..."

I assume this is not in the Rack Manufacturer's Institute standard since it
was written by the industry and it is coming to us fourth class book rate
right now.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division