From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 4:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic loads on mechanical and electrical components

Gerard,

For anchorage of equipment to a slab on grade in a building, I use UBC
equation 32-2, and I check to be sure that the result is not less than
0.7CaIpWp.  It makes sense to do as you say and use always 0.7CaIpWp for
equipment mounted on a slab on grade -- why should the presence of a roof
overhead affect the seismic factor.

Have I missed something? Does the UBC always apply the 0.7 equation for
equipment mounted at grade?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA