Finding Moment of Inertia of Solids in AutoCAD

Does anyone have any experience using AutoCAD to find the section properties of solids? I understand how to use the "region" and "massprop" command to find the moment of inertia of a section. However, these commands only take the outline of an object. I think that you need to make an object a solid in order to get the section properties of built-up sections with objects like tubes. When I try to use region and mass prop for these types of sections, AutoCAD takes the moment of inertia of the section as a solid and does not take into account hollow sections.

If anyone can help with this, I'd appreciate it. I cannot seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Gina

Gina T. Gobo, EIT
Carter & Burgess, Inc
Facilities - Structural Engineering
Seattle, WA
Ph. 425-822-7096
Fax 425-822-7246
gobogt(--nospam--at)c-b.com
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px"
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>Does anyone have any experience using AutoCAD to find the section
properties of solids? I understand how to use the "region" and "massprop"
command to find the moment of inertia of a section. However, these commands only
take the outline of an object. I think that you need to make an object a solid
in order to get the section properties of built-up sections with objects like
tubes. When I try to use region and mass prop for these types of sections,
AutoCAD takes the moment of inertia of the section as a solid and does not take
into account hollow sections. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If anyone can help with this, I'd appreciate it. I cannot seem to figure it
out.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, </DIV>
<DIV>Gina</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gina T. Gobo, EIT<BR>Carter &amp; Burgess, Inc<BR>Facilities - Structural
Engineering<BR>Seattle, WA<BR>Ph. 425-822-7096<BR>Fax 425-822-7246<BR><A
href="mailto:gobogt(--nospam--at)c-b.com">gobogt(--nospam--at)c-b.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>