RE: Two conditions in residential construction

Paul-

Thanks for your response.  My intent was to assume a smaller effective area
for the footing but only if the contractor hired a geotech and provided me a
value of allowable soil bearing pressure which allowed the as built
condition to work, otherwise I was just going to require the footing to be
replaced.

We did object to the change of the shear wall sheathing being changed to the
strap detail and advised the Architect of Record that if that detail was
going to be changed we wanted to be relieved of EOR responsibility, and that
the "other" engineer assume responsibility as EOR.  My boss was primarily
involved with this project, so I don't know the status of our objection, but
the Architect asked about this issue in reference to as-built drawings
toady.  Thanks again for your comments.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering
(215) 665-8570 Tel