Canopy Lateral Support

I am designing a canopy to cover sidewalks and provide for a drive-up
drop off for vehicles.  The overall depth of the roof structure is about
2 feet.  I want to get some feedback for lateral stability and foundation
design.  My initial thought is to cantilever columns from drilled piers
sockets to stabilize the canopy.  The roof structure is relatively thin
(2 feet).   It does not have much in the way of lateral wind load, but it
does have uplift.

I would like some feedback on whether that is a good method of lateral
stability for a walkway canopy or if there is another method that would
be easier and cheaper.  Last, can someone give some information for the
actual pier foundation system.  Do I just bury a steel column into a
concrete pier?  What corrosive resistant details do I need to consider or
include?

Rich
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.