RE: Two conditions in residential construction

Title: RE: Two conditions in residential construction

Paul Feather wrote:

"...who is to say the rock is not sitting on pure garbage."

Paul:

What exactly is "pure garbage"?  Is that a new engineering term?

The only time that I have heard this phrase used is in critical reviews of a particular structural software package (the one that rhymes with "bad").

Albert:

I second the thoughts of Conrad and Paul.  You should insist on a geotechnical report.  The encountered rock is only useful to you if it is:

1]  strong, AND

2]  competent, AND

3]  thick, AND

4]  widespread.

Also, as EOR, you should never accept any changes to your design that are detrimental to your design intent.

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas