FW: Canopy Lateral Support

Another way to approach it would be to use a grade beam system in both
directions.  Actually, I was faced with this choice a little while ago, for
about 10 rain shelters that are being put at the tee boxes on a local golf
course.  Fortunately, I was hired by the contractor to provide the design,
so I was able to tailor the system to meet their preferred means and
methods.

Initially, I had proposed drilled piers with cantilever columns (all R/C).
Soil conditions at most of the locations are poor, lots of clay, so the
required pier depth was about 6 feet.  The contractor asked for a change to
grade beams, because of the cost associated with getting the boring rig out
to the sites given the rough terrain.  Also, since the rain shelters have a
slab on grade, preparation of the interior area was required, so trenching
out for the grade beams was just a little bit more effort.

So, you may want to consider using grade beams - it depends on the project
parameters - but it would be driven, I think, by cost, and the contractor
(if available) would be able to tell you which option is better.

BTW, you are saying that you will have uplift on the canopy roof - is it
partially enclosed?

Hope this helps.

T. Eric R. Gillham PE
PO Box 3207 Hagatna, Guam 96932
Ph:   (671) 477-9224
Fax: (671) 477-3456
Cel  (671) 687-7115

teric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com <mailto:eteric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com>