Re: FEMA Welding Requirements

Both the AISC Seismic Provisions Committee and AWS D1.1 are working to
incorporate key elements of FEMA 350 and 353.  Certain parts of the
documents are being incorporated after balloting in an ANSI process.  The
FEMA documents are not being incorporated by reference.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

****************************

                    bob.ross@wgint.
                    com (Bob Ross)       To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    12/06/01 05:44
                    PM                   cc:
                    Please respond
                    to seaint            Subject:     Re: FEMA Welding Requirements.

                                                                                                                 .

FEMA MAY BE DOWN LOADED FOR REFERENCE DOCUMENTS.
FEMA 353 addresses both Welding and welding material control and
Quality Assurance. Some engineers/architects are specifying the FEMA
353 is applicable. At the moment, I am lead to understand that San
Diego, Santa Monica, and Sacramento require the implementations of the
recommendations on those projects that have moment resisting frames.
And, I am told that Walnut Creek, althought not a part of their Code,
are applying the recommendations in their plan check cycle. AISC is to
have incorporated FEMA 353 recommendations with AWS working with them
on this matter. (?Is this so Charlie??) So I am told by Lincon
Electric Engineering staff from Cleveland, Ohio. So, if these code
orgs incorporate the recommendations, how are we to defend
against "Why did you not include those FEMA recommendations Mr.
Engineer in your building design which failed?" Our response of "It
was not in my contract." may not be an appropriate defense, legally or
morally.

Quo Vadis?
Pax e Gratia
Bob Ross