Re: FW: Canopy Lateral Support

Thank  you for your reply Eric.

I am considering a grade beam option.  I have about 50 columns and it
seams to me it would be easier to drill them then to trench out for grade
beams.  It is a canopy and drive-up cover that wraps around a church.  If
I use grade beams I would use them to locate "rigid frames" in select
locations and use pinned spread footings elsewhere.  The area is going to
be compacted structural fill.  My gut feeling is that drilled piers would
be better, although I don't have any sound reason why that is so.

If it is practical, I would like to encase the column somehow in concrete
rather than use a 4 bolt base plate anchor.  I think I would get better
fixity that way.  I would like some suggestions as to how to do that.  I
anticipate using pipe or square tube columns.  If someone could give me
some detailing information on that I would really appreciate it very
much.

Rich