Re: Design of elevated water storage tank

The selection of materials  depends on availability and costs in your
location. If labor is cheap and in a third world country, concrete may be
best, but otherwise steel is the logical choice, if structural shapes and
fabricators are available.
The dimensions of the base are dependent on to what extent lateral forces
(earthquake primarily) exist and what limitations on site exist, if any.
In general I believe you should try to have the base larger than 7
meters. The type of soil is also a determinant.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA