From: "subi mohan" <subimohan(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Design of elevated water storage tank
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 19:57:04 +0300

Hi,

I am trying to design a support structure for suppoting a cylindrical ( 7m
dia and a height of 7.5 m ) steel water tank. The height of the proposed
structure is about 50 m from the ground level and over which the cylindrical
water tank will be placed.

I would like to have suggestions regarding material of construction   (
either steel or concrete based on easiness in construction and economy) for
the support structure.

We have two steel water tanks of identical dimension of 7m dia and 7.5 m
height in the vicinity of the proposed site. The support structures for the
existing tanks are of steel with base width of
7m x 7m and a height of 25m ( 3x 3 rows of steel columns with intermediate
bracings at 5 equal intervals in height ) . The client wants  the height of
the proposed supporting structure to be fixed as 50m.

Please enlighten me whether the existing base width of 7m x 7m is adequate
or i have to increase the base width to satisfy the height by width ratio.
If so, what is the code i have to refer for the height by width ratio?.
Which code is normally referred for the design of such structures?.Any
online sites available for such design details?

Thaks in advance

Rajamohan.S