From: "Dennis Wish" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Pole Foundations
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:12:26 -0800

If you are an Excel user, there is a spreadsheet that will calculate the
moment in the pole due to the wind applied to the sign area. It follows
each of the steps in the basic logic that Syed indicates below with a
couple of exceptions:
1. The spreadsheet allows for up to three signs to be placed on one
pole.
2. The spreadsheet calculates the height of the signs above the base to
determine the wind load applied. In other words, if the sign lies
between two regions where the wind load changes then the area of that
sign section is broken into two and the wind pressure is applied to each
area above and below the line.
3. The wind on the pole is neglected in this spreadsheet. I suppose it
can be argued that the pressure against the area of the pole is
significant and it would be if the area of the sign is quite small.
4. The moment is calculated due to each sign segment so that the
designer may change the pole section as the moment increases or
decreases.
5. The pole and foundation is not designed in the spreadhsheet - this is
left to another spreadsheet or one of the commercial programs such as
Enercalc. However, if someone is ambitious and would like to improve the
spreadsheet, you are welcome to do so.

The spreadsheet is available on The Structuralist.Net Professional
Discussion forum 'Cybrary' in the Spreadsheet Template forum. The
Pole-sign spreadsheet is available along with nearly 20 other
spreadsheets available for download at:

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Spread_Tplts

Enjoy!

Dennis S. Wish, PE