RE: dynamic lateral force procedure

I generally use the equivalent lateral force method unless otherwise
dictated by the code or client or where a structure is considered to be
complex and of a critical nature. In my opinion, a dynamic analysis provides
a more accurate vertical distribution of lateral forces but may not be
warranted except for complex structures or unusual load distributions.
Generally a dynamic analysis does not modify the total base shear
significantly, since the final base shear must be scaled up or may be scaled
down to near the value obtained by the equivalent lateral force method.

I also use a site-specific response spectrum where available, typically for
structures which are considered more critical in nature. Although the code
allows scaling the base shear down to the base shear determined by the
equivalent lateral force method, I don't typically scale it down since the
intent for critical structures is to have better performance after a defined
seismic event.