Re: dynamic lateral force procedure

>This does not work well with wood frame structures.
No reason to believe it should. Wood isn't linear so figuring the dynamic
response is harder than Chinese FORTRAN. No one knows what the damping
should be, and the response of the structural joints is a nightmare. Hard
enough to predict the frequency of a steel framework with FEA software
even after you've put it on a shaker table, let alone do it with
something like timber. I've sniffed around wondering how to figure
fundamental frequencies for my house, and I doubt it can really be
done--so non-linear I daresay it has no natural freuquencies.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw