From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 9:32 AM
To: 'SEAINT'
Subject: Suggestion

[Dennis Wish] Jim, I'm not sure that the SEAINT Website has the
volunteer resources to maintain a construction "defect" library.
However, I did start one on the Structuralist.Net and have been sending
out notices to anyone who has either electronic Photo's or who would
send their photos to me with a brief description and I would scan them
and transfer it to the site.

You can visit my "Construction Hall of Shame" forum located at:
http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=defects
You must register to access the site. If you do, you will find the
Construction Hall of Shame located under the General Design Discussions
Category. Just scroll down the list until you see the Hall of Shame and
Click on the Yellow title.

You can also access the forum after you have registered by clicking on
the Jump-To menu which is located on the lower right side of the screen
in each Forum and Category. Simply pull down the menu and scroll down
the list to find the forum you wish to access. Once in the Hall of Shame
board, each message contains a photograph or more of the problem, a
description of the problem, and suggestions for how the problem can be
avoided.

This is not limited to wood construction, but contains mostly light
framing issues since this is my field of experience. You may send me (or
post) whatever you want that reflects a structural problem.

If you are posting your own message, please note that you can only
reference a photograph that is currently accessible by Internet server.
If your server is not set up for this, then you will have to e-mail the
photo (or snail mail) it to me and I will load it onto the
Structuralist.Net folder. I will then send the link back to you which
you can reference in your message. If it is easier on you, simply send a
description of the problem, a suggested correction or fix and any
additional comments as to how the problem can be avoided.

The purpose of this forum is not only to show the defect, but to show
builders who might visit the site (and many do) just how to do it
correctly.

Please feel free to contact me privately and I'll be happy to help. The
offer goes to anyone who has been building their own library of
construction problems and would like to share them with your peers.
Remember, the purpose is to promote improved construction rather than
simply point to the defects.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Administrator
The Structuralist.Net
http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi

I would like to suggest that a portion of this website be devoted to
construction photos of improper installations with a short written
description. I am sure we all have seen or have in our possession some
photos that might be interesting and possibly instructive on how not to
do
something, be it wood, steel, masonry or concrete.

Jim K.