RE: dynamic lateral force procedure

>I have found
>there is an advantage in using dynamic analysis for buildings greater than
>about 12 or 14 stories since you can reduce your overturning moments.
The overturning moments that actually exist or the overturning moments
that go into stress summaries. I think there's a big difference, and
having done a fair amount of modal analysis, I doubt that anyone really
knows what the difference is.

No question it's a far better model of what probably happens than static
analysis. But I've also done some experimental correlation, and for real
structures normal mode theory really leaves a lot to the imagination. And
it requires a pretty thorough understanding of dynamic response
mechanisms to make full use of.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw