Re: FW: dynamic lateral force procedure

>The attitude that more complex dynamic analyses utilizing faster and better
>computers is the inescapable wave of the future for our profession is IMO
>misguided and shortsighted.
But very, very common. As a result you have a generation of engineers
without the skills in applied mechanics to figure out what a load path
is, who think that a multi-colored stress plot is the last step in stress
calculation. And apparently Code committees who don't realize that normal
mode theory has limitations in application that will never be overcome
with faster computers. Believe me there are a lot of them. Just like the
people who assume that the ability to run CAD software makes them
designers.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw