Engineering Education & Professional Practice

This forum is perhaps slanted toward the latter, however we all have experienced the former.

Is it appropriate for practitioners to have any serious influence on the "means and methods" established by schools to educate students?

My impression is that schools tend to feel comfortable off-loading design tasks to employers, which is fine to a point, but can become an impediment if taken to an extreme. I realize this discussion may evolve into a pros and cons of specific schools, but what I'm really interested in is whether or not professionals feel they have any specific way to address this issue to schools.

Thanks for your thoughts

Barry H. Welliver