Sec 1815 UBC (slabs subject to expansive soils)

Regarding the design of slabs subject to expansive soils: Section 1815 of the UBC  requires a series of beams provided in conjuction with the slab to help resist  the expansion of the soil.  I have heard two different opinions about what this design calls for. #1 ) The beams are actually control joints that allow the slab to crack at predetermined locations. "or" #2) the beams are infact concrete beams that stiffen the slab similiar to the waffle design.  I realize the code is pretty explicite on an actual beam design. But I what to make sure I'm using proper procedure. Can anyone provide asome comments?

Thanks
LSI