RE: Sec 1815 UBC (slabs subject to expansive soils)

You need to be a bit careful here.

1st - You will not be able to resist the expansion of the soil.  You can
resist the EFFECTS and in reality you will only be able to control the
effects to a degree.  The only way to totally mitigate the effects of soil
expansion is to use drilled piers and a structural slab over a void.

2nd - This is only applicable to slab-on-grade FOUNDATIONS.  You can
construct the structure to be supported on drilled piers, and place a
slab-on-grade to bear on the soil with few provisions for expansive soil.
The key to invoking Section 1815 is if the slab on grade is a foundation.

Basically what Section 1815 is trying to do is tie everything together so
that the slab on grade will be able to serve as a foundation.  The slab will
move, but the differential movement will be limited by the stiffening of the
slab and beam system.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague