Re: Engineering Education & Professional Practice

Barry,

As a PT- Faculty at California State University - Fullerton one of the
classes
I've taught is EG-CE 495 (Civil engineering professional practice).

I'd like to mention that I've had positive experiences with regards to
the influence of  "means and methods"
established for this important class,  and this "influence" was reflected
by the responses received by the students teacher and class  survey
evaluation at the end of each semester.
I would also like to add that this class is usually attended by both
undergraduate and graduate students as well.

As a matter of fact, the students have had the opportunity to get
lectures and the latest information in field from
somebody who has had over 20 years of business and engineering
experience.   The students appeared to
enjoy each class and found the material presented both edifying and
entertaining.

So the answer in my opinion is:  YES, but it is not easy, since each
school may have clearly established "means
and methods"  to educate the students .   Some of the "means and methods"
appear to be cast-in-concrete or
obsolete and that there is always room from improvement.

But times have changed and the avenues of communications have been
enriched and in general
the academic community is receptive to new and good ideas.  (On-line
education, the use of the Internet,
Extranet and Intranet, invitation to classes of guest speakers from the
Industry etc.)

Hope this helps,

Desi J. Kiss, P.E.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:39:34 -0700 "Barry Welliver"
<barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net> writes:
> This forum is perhaps slanted toward the latter, however we all have
> experienced the former.
>
> Is it appropriate for practitioners to have any serious influence on
> the
> "means and methods" established by schools to educate students?
>
> My impression is that schools tend to feel comfortable off-loading
> design
> tasks to employers, which is fine to a point, but can become an
> impediment
> if taken to an extreme. I realize this discussion may evolve into a
> pros and
> cons of specific schools, but what I'm really interested in is
> whether or
> not professionals feel they have any specific way to address this
> issue to
> schools.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts
>
> Barry H. Welliver