From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 10:16 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Engineering Education & Professional Pra

> Is it appropriate for practitioners to have any serious influence on the
> "means and methods" established by schools to educate students?

Yes, I think it is appropriate. Penn State Architectural Engineering uses an
advisory group of its graduates to accomplish this. Universities know how to
educate. Employers (consumers of the University's product) know what they
want to be a part of that education. A cooperative effort between the two
will work wonders for both, in my opinion.

AISC conducted a survey on what engineering employers want from their new
hires. You can see the results here:

    http://www.aisc.org/about.asp?ar=23&co=279

And a similar one with a CM focus:

    http://www.aisc.org/documents.asp?mode=docdetail&doc=258