Re: Mandatory Upgrade - when

Gerard,

In regard to the "5%", you may be thinking of the DSA requirement which is
in the California Building Standards Administrative Code - Part 1, Title 24,
CCR (a code that many CA engineers don't have, even when they do a lot of
school work).  Section 4-309 contains wording about bringing the existing
building up to current code requirements when increasing the existing
lateral force story shear in any story by more than 5 percent, or reducing
the lateral-force-resisting capacity in any story or in the total building
by no less than 5 percent.

Karen Casano
Structural Safety Section
Division of the State Architect
San Diego Regional Office
858-674-5420

I'm having trouble tracking down in the code where it states the criteria
when existing structures need to be upgraded due to an addition. I know I've
read somewhere in the code about 5% difference in mass (or demand) to an
existing element based on new addition is the trigger, but I can't find it.
If anyone could point me to it, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,
-gerard

Gerard Madden, PE
Design Group Manager