Re: Q: COMPRESSION Force On Anchor Bolts/Rods

In a message dated 12/11/01 2:44:30 PM, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc writes:

<< My problem is in considering the embedment of the bolts and the capacity
thereof to resist compressive forces. >>

2000 IBC Section 1913.5.3 covers pullout strength of anchors in tension.
Dont forget to check for crushing under the head of the anchor.
1913.5.3.3 reads Np = (Ab)(8 f'c), where Ab is the bearing area of the head
of the stud or anchor bolt.  I believe this is to limit the compression force
in the concrete (at 8f'c!!).

Howard Silverman, PE
Covert Operations, Inc.
Adhesives, Anchors, & Injection Systems