From: "Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Survey: Joint/Ladder Reinf in Masonry
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:14:14 -0500

Where minimum wall reinforcement is required in codes, they typically
require either prefabricated joint reinforcement at 16-inch vertical spacing or rebar at maximum 48-inch vertical spacing. For partially grouted walls, I typically use prefabricated joint reinforcement to avoid numerous bond beams
in the wall. For fully grouted masonry, I typically use rebar at 4-ft max
since it has to be fully grouted anyway. But I have sometimes used bond
beams at 4-ft on center in partially grouted walls where they can also be
used as lintel beams over windows and doors.

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA.