From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 5:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Survey: Joint/Ladder Reinf in Masonry

Mike,

You must confirm if  really no joint rebars are used in California. Because,

joint rebars are required to give stifness to the CMU, besides taking care
of cracks.

For seismic detailing both the joint rebars & the vertical rebars (in the
grouted cells) are very essential & are common place. Why is it then not
used in California? It doesn't make sense to me.

Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD,